Anchor: Chinese authorities have asked 12 South Koreans in China to leave the country for their own safety.
Seoul's Foreign Ministry confirms an exclusive KBS report that says China believes North Korea may be targeting the South Koreans.
Kim In-kyung has the details.
Report: The Foreign Ministry in Seoul says at least five South Koreans in China have already returned home and others may soon follow, after China warned a dozen South Koreans they may be in imminent danger.
Most of the individuals are businessmen or religious figures active along the Chinese-South Korean border.
They were summoned to the police agency during the Chuseok holidays after Chinese authorities acquired intelligence North Korea may be targeting them for acts of terror or kidnapping.
One of the South Koreans told KBS he is keeping a low profile.
[Sound bite: A South Korean living in China – voice altered (Korean)]
“(They told me) to leave for South Korea for a while. I was informed by the Chinese authorities. But I’m not in a position to leave so I haven’t been picking up the phone.”
South Korean intelligence authorities are doing what they can to protect South Koreans in China.
On Wednesday, the South Korean Consulate General in Shenyang issued a notice for South Koreans to be cautious of contact with strangers and to leave information on their destinations when they head out.
The Foreign Ministry also called in South Korean intelligence officers stationed in China to Seoul to discuss measures against possible terror attacks.
Last year, a Chinese-Korean minister who had helped North Korean defectors was killed. Another 60-year-old Korean who went missing five months ago in Yanji, a city bordering North Korea, has still not been found.
Kim In-kyung, KBS World Radio News.