Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has strongly protested South Korea’s renewed stance on the 2015 bilateral deal on settling Japan’s wartime sexual slavery.
Japan’s Kyodo News Agency said that Abe told reporters at his official residence on Friday that the accord was a promise reached between two countries, stressing that he cannot, by any means, accept Seoul’s newest stance.
Friday marked the first time for the Japanese leader to reveal his thoughts on Seoul’s new position on the deal.
Abe said that Japan has faithfully implemented the agreement and hopes South Korea will continuously do the same.
Earlier on Tuesday, South Korea’s Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said in a news conference that the 2015 agreement cannot be a genuine solution to the wartime sexual enslavement issue as it did not reflect the opinions of the elderly women.