South Korea's presidential office says it considers North Korea’s abrupt cancellation of the high-level inter-Korean talks as pain for better results in the long run.
In a message sent to reporters on Wednesday afternoon, President Moon Jae-in's chief press secretary Yoon Young-chan said the situation has changed slightly in light of the North’s surprise news, but said it's part of a very difficult process for the two Koreas to paint the same picture for the future of the Korean Peninsula.
Since Wednesday morning, the presidential office has been trying to figure out why North Korea suddenly pulled out of the meeting.
A senior official at the top office told reporters that presidential aides in charge of national security were in close contact with related government agencies, including the Unification, Foreign Affairs and Defense ministries.
President Moon Jae-in also held a closed-door meeting with his top aides on Wednesday to discuss how to handle the situation and attended briefing sessions throughout the day on updates related to Pyongyang's move.
Shortly after midnight, North Korea notified South Korea of its decision to “indefinitely postpone” the high-level talks that had been scheduled for Wednesday morning to discuss follow-up measures to the Panmunjeom Declaration.